BOOM! Studios is proud to announce the The Avant-Guards original graphic novel, concluding the story of the beloved group of misfit art students who band together to play for their school’s first ever basketball team. The brand new original graphic novel, picking up after issue eight and available in stores September 2020, reunites the acclaimed team of filmmaker and writer Carly Usdin (Heavy Vinyl) and artist Noah Hayes (Wet Hot American Summer) for a brand-new adventure with their team of unlikely athletes brought together by friendship and sports shenanigans.
“I’m so excited that Noah and I get to finish telling the story of our beloved Avant-Guards. The stakes couldn’t be higher — they’re fighting for the championship AND the future of the league,” said writer Carly Usdin. “The final installment will include teamwork, romance, lots of surprises and a dunk or two!”
The Avant-Guards graphic novel cover will feature art by series artist Noah Hayes.
“My favorite thing about the Avant-Guards is how unique all of them are- they each have their own special set of quirks and interests that materialized so quickly for me. I, of all people, should be aware that they’re merely drawings, but part of me feels like Jay or Nicole (or any of them!) could totally be real friends that I have.” said artist Noah Hayes.
The Avant-Guards is the latest release from BOOM! Studios’ award-winning BOOM! Box imprint, home to groundbreaking original series such as Lumberjanes by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Brooklyn Allen, and Noelle Stevenson; Giant Days by John Allison, Lissa Treiman, and Max Sarin; Heavy Vinyl by Carly Usdin and Nina Vakueva; Misfit City by Kirsten ‘Kiwi’ Smith, Kurt Lustgarten, and Naomi Franquiz; Fence by C.S. Pacat and Johanna The Mad; and Goldie Vance by Hope Larson and Brittney Williams.
“It’s been an absolute joy working with the dream team of writer Carly Usdin and artist Noah Hayes, so we can’t wait to tell the rest of the Avant-Guards story in graphic novel form,” said Shannon Watters, Senior Editor, BOOM! Studios. “Fans will get plenty of drama, romance, and competition as this team of misfit students continue to pursue love and basketball at their historic women’s art college.”
Print copies of The Avant-Guards original graphic novel will hit shelves in September 2020. In the meantime, you can catch up with the series by picking up The Avant-Guards Vol. 1 TP (JUN191303) and by preordering The Avant-Guards Vol. 2 TP (OCT191426) at your local comic shop.
(W) Carly Usdin (A) Noah Hayes (CA) Veronica Fish
* As a transfer student to the Georgia O’Keeffe College for Arts and Subtle Dramatics former sports star Charlie is struggling to find her classes, her dorm, and her place amongst a student body full of artists who seem to know exactly where they’re going.
* When the school’s barely-a-basketball-team unexpectedly attempts to recruit her, Charlie’s adamant that she’s left that life behind… until she’s won over by the charming team captain, Liv, and the ragtag crew she’s managed to assemble. And while Charlie may have left the cut-throat world of competitive basketball in the dust, sinking these hoops may be exactly what she needs to find the person she truly wants to be.
* From Carly Usdin, the writer behind the hit series Heavy Vinyl , and artist Noah Hayes (Wet Hot American Summer) comes an ensemble comedy series that understands that it’s the person you are off the court that matters most.
* Collects The Avant-Guards issues #1-4.
In Shops: Aug 28, 2019
PREVIEWS Page #230
(W) Carly Usdin (A/CA) Noah Hayes
* The Avant-Guards have been on a roll, but when they hit the end of their winning-streak, will these new friendships survive? As The Avant-Guards struggle to move forward, they’ll soon learn just what it means to truly be a team – on the court and, most importantly, off the court.
* The critically-acclaimed team of writer Carly Usdin (Heavy Vinyl) and artist Noah Hayes (Wet Hot American Summer) deliver the next chapter of the series where every shot counts when you take them with your friends.
* Collects issues #5-8.
In Shops: Feb 12, 2020
Final Orders Due: Jan 20, 2020
PREVIEWS Page #230